BARK! WOOF! meow...

Thursday, January 20, 2011

Young, Gifted, and Black, yes?

            Surprisingly, I can relate to Lorraine Hansberry, the author of “To Be Young, Black, and Gifted”.  Because, well, I am all those things.  That’s what I like to think anyway.  Maybe I’m not that young.  But going beyond the title, my childhood was somewhat similar to Hansberry’s.
            Children playing on the sidewalk, girls jumping rope, boys shooting marbles...  This was sort of how my childhood was (is?).  When I was younger, I played outside sometimes with my cousins.  What we played, I really have no recollection whatsoever.  Jump rope: I hated it.  Always did, still do, never won’t.  So there’s a difference right there.  And although I didn’t play marbles in the open air, an uncle of mine taught me how to play (don’t ask me what I learned;  I don’t remember). 
            Even though I grew up on a different side of the city than Hansberry, there was still that sense of the children of the neighborhood coming together to play.  I amused myself with the next door neighbors, people across the street, etc.
            Of course, I can relate to the wonder of the trains in Chicago.  Taking the train, maybe the red line, it is possible to see all the different parts of the city.  Admittedly, I’ve never taken the red line.  But I do take the blue line all the time and have taken the green line.  Just watching the people that enter those metal doors can delineate the diversity of Chicago.
             What does this have to do with being American?  Well, you can’t get much more American than Chicago.  Except for maybe New York, where things and people are busier and more expensive.
           


1 comment:

  1. It's unique how you perceive 'diversity' by trains, or how busy the place is. I'm pretty sure the quantity doesn't matter :>

    ReplyDelete