BARK! WOOF! meow...

Wednesday, April 20, 2011

Fried Rice, Egg Rolls, Orange Chicken..... CHOP SUEY!!!!!!!!!!!

        I know that many of you will be surprised that I’m not doing a Jonas Brothers or Paramore or Vampire Weekend song.  Well, Vampire Weekend’s songs make no sense and I WAS going to do a Paramore song.  But thanks to an unnamed individual (Shiloh), I will be doing a System of a Down song instead.  Not that there’s anything wrong with that. I love CHOP SUEY!!!!!! The deciphering begins…..

Wake up
Grab a brush and put a little makeup
Hide the scars to fade away the shakeup
(Hide the scars to fade away the)
Why'd you leave the keys upon the table?
Here you go create another fable

            Voila, the first verse-thingamajiggy.  As you might be able to tell, the speaker at the moment seems violent and controlling. The person being spoken to has scars, and the command to hide them leads you to think that the speaker caused them.  “Why’d you leave the keys up on the table?” encourages that idea of controlling.  This whole section makes me think that the song is about physical abuse.  The next part of the songs repeats but the phrase “you wanted to” is added after every line.  This phrase makes it seem like the speaker is blaming the abused for anything that might have happened (ex. “You wanted me to slap you!”).

I don't think you trust
In my
Self righteous suicide
I cry when angels deserve to die

            This is the hardest part of the song to decode (Paramore reference, whoo!!).  But when looked at it from the perspective of abuse, it makes more sense.  The abused person might literally be speaking about committing suicide. Or, he/she believes that letting themselves be abused is somehow righteous or a good deed.  Perhaps, he/she loves the person that is abusing them and would rather suffer than turn that person in to the police.  The part about crying when angels deserve to die means… I have no idea.  The song repeats the first two parts again.  Then it’s:

Father, father, father, father
Father into your hands, I commend my spirit
Father into your hands
Why have you forsaken me?

            Here we have Bible reference to when Jesus was crucified.  Using this particular reference gives the notion that the person doing the abusing is the father of the abuse. 

In your eyes forsaken me
In your thoughts forsaken me
In your heart forsaken me, oh

            Just reinforcing the afore mentioned Bible reference. The abusive father has completely neglected and abandoned his child. Tragic….





No comments:

Post a Comment